Thursday, March 13, 2014

Maybe Ignorance is Bliss









I have learned to prize holy ignorance more highly than religious certainty and to seek companions who have arrived at the same place.

Taylor, Barbara Brown (2009-10-13). Leaving Church (p. 224). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition. 


Eleanor,

There's an old Zen story that goes like this:



The monk Fayan visited Master Dizang who asked the young student of the way, “Where have you come from?” Fayen replied, “I wander from here to there on my pilgrimage.” The master asked, “What is the point of your pilgrimage?” Fayan answered, “I don’t know.” Master Dizang replied, “Not knowing is most intimate.”



Seems to me the old monk Fayan could have been a good companion of Barbara Brown Taylor.

Truth is truth, no matter where you find it.

Love,
Papa












No comments:

Post a Comment